"Today, give a stranger one of your smiles. It might be the only sunshine he sees all day."

Beginning in late November 2008, I will be living in Meru, Kenya, a town just five miles north of the equator at the base of Mt. Kenya. I will be volunteering/interning for International Peace Initiatives, a non-profit working mainly with AIDS orphans and vulnerable women. I know my experience will be rewarding, if not a little bit jarring and unpredictable along the way. I have been wanting to do something like this for as long as I can remember. I'm so thankful for being given the chance to bring a helping hand to an area of our world that needs some extra love. I fully look forward to sharing my Kenyan adventures with all of you.

Peace and love,
Em

Thursday, November 27, 2008

Leaving today!

So I just had a fantastic Thanksgiving Day meal with my family at my Auntie Marie's house and am now listening to Christmas music. I am leaving at 7:15 tonight for Kenya, flying to Amsterdam and then on down to Nairobi. I should be arriving Friday, 11/28, at 8pm local time in Nairobi (which is EST +8). I have my iPod charged and plenty of reading materials (and Tylenol PM) to help me out on the flights.

What a week! Turning 25 (eek!), packing, Thanksgiving, saying goodbyes, hello Kenya! I hope you guys all had a great holiday. And please check out the post below to find out how to contribute to the charity fund I set up for the new Amani Community Home. Ciao ciao my friends. My next post will be from Meru!!

xoEm

1 comment:

  1. Hi Emily Eileen and I were glad to hear you arrived safely in Meru. We spend the weekend with you parents. What a great adventure you must be having. We'll follow along in your blog.
    Richard and Eileen

    ReplyDelete