"Today, give a stranger one of your smiles. It might be the only sunshine he sees all day."

Beginning in late November 2008, I will be living in Meru, Kenya, a town just five miles north of the equator at the base of Mt. Kenya. I will be volunteering/interning for International Peace Initiatives, a non-profit working mainly with AIDS orphans and vulnerable women. I know my experience will be rewarding, if not a little bit jarring and unpredictable along the way. I have been wanting to do something like this for as long as I can remember. I'm so thankful for being given the chance to bring a helping hand to an area of our world that needs some extra love. I fully look forward to sharing my Kenyan adventures with all of you.

Peace and love,
Em

Saturday, December 27, 2008

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays from Meru!

Hi everyone! Habari (how are you)? My sincere apologies for the delay in posting on this blog. I have been in Kenya almost one month and I have only written one entry! Poor form! I do have a solid excuse, though: we have been insanely busy here in Meru and the internet is pretty terrible.

Anyway, I am indeed still alive and well. I've seen and done so much and met so many interesting people. I've been shown fantastic hospitality by perfect strangers and become quite close with my extended Kenyan family over here.

I am working on a more detailed post of my recent experiences, so for now, I would like to wish everyone a very happy holiday season. I celebrated my first Christmas away from home yesterday. It was certainly different than any of the previous ones. It was strange to open the doors to a beautiful, sunny and hot tropical scene, and the words, "The goat has arrived. Do you want to see it before we slaughter it?" (I politely declined, of course, and did not eat goat that day). I ate very well, otherwise. I missed my Mom and Dad, family, and friends, of course, but I was surrounded by so many people that I definitely did not feel alone.

I'd like to thank everyone who contributed to the Spare Change for Kenya fund (especially my cousin Karen). That money was converted into 47,000 Ksh (Kenyan schillings) and part of that was used to purchase Christmas gifts for over 75 IPI-sponsored kids. The rest will be put aside for the community home, which is still in the works. The children were SO appreciative of their gift bags; it was truly a gratifying experience for all involved. My fundraising goals are not over, however. Now that I am here and can more adequately assess the needs of the programs, I have so many new ideas. I will need your help again in the near future!


My next post coming as soon as possible. I need more time to work on it! I hope all is well wherever you are. I'm very excited that 2009 is just around the corner-- I am going to continue to dream big and take some chances, as you never know what might happen! :-)

Kwaheri (goodbye) for now!
xx Emily


P.S. Check out this link to my Picasa web albums (I update it frequently with new photos, so check back): http://picasaweb.google.com/MorrisEB

No comments:

Post a Comment